#MarryTheDream: 7 Ways I Plan to Accomplish My Dream
photo by Alfield Reeves
On Monday morning I was just going about my business as usual when I stumbled across a Periscope broadcast by one of my favorite bloggers, Mattie James of Mattieologie.com. She was dropping gems about blogging, living what you love. Her comments about marrying your dreams really hit home, especially since the night before I’d decided to do just that. Can you say on time? To sum it up, she challenged everyone to stop treating our dreams like a side chick and commit our time, money and efforts to building and fueling them. I’m taking this challenge and I’m excited to share it with you all.
Dreams are real all you have to do is just believe….
Honestly, when I think about my career, I have one ultimate dream: to encourage and empower women spiritually and professionally. Everything else just serves as a way for me to make this happen. To break this down even further, here are a few avenues that I want to use make my dream possible:
- Create a digital marketing agency for fashion, beauty and creative brands. I love marketing and I know that some people just don’t have the knowledge or time to do what it takes to win online. I want to help these businesses grow online, make more money and win.
- Christian Fashion and Lifestyle blogger. I enjoy blogging and I’d like to discuss fashion as well as my faith on a bigger level. I’d like to make a #cutecoin from this too. This means monetizing with a year.
- Finish graduate school debt-free. I’m currently in graduate school at Rutgers University getting my Master’s in Communication. I’m learning a lot about digital media, marketing, building and communicating in organizations and so much more. I’m a bookworm, so I love it! I also love that I was able to make it this far in my schooling life without any loans (praise THE Most High God) and I want to continue that way. Hence why that aforementioned #cutecoin this year is so important. I know it’s a lofty dream, but I also know that it can be done.
Then let me show you now that I’m for real…
Dreaming is the easy part. It’s kind of like dating. Depending on where you are in the relationship there is some level of commitment, but for the most part, you can break up whenever you want to. Right now, I’m committing to marrying my dreams today, so there is no “I think I need space” or “this just isn’t working out.” I’m in it for the long haul—good times, bad times and broke times. I have to keep going no matter how tiring or stressful it becomes, because it will all be worth it later. And because I’m a planner, I came up with tangible, right now steps to make sure that my new marriage will be a success.
- Pray. This is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT thing for me to do. I have dreams and want to seem them all realized, but I also know that some times these dreams can stem from selfish desires. Prayer keeps me in constant communication with God. He’s able to give me guidance, wisdom and most importantly, make me look more like Christ. The more Christ-like I am, the more His desires become mine. Plus I can’t spiritually empower others if I’m not spiritually empowered.
- Stop comparing myself to others. Everyone’s purpose and journey is different. Even if they cross at similar places, God has a different plan for everyone. It doesn’t serve me well to look at others my age or in my industry and compare my journey to theirs. I’m going to do what I do, at my pace, when the Lord wants me to do it.
- Work the HECK out of my day job. I’m blessed to have a day job that I love and is right up my alley. I work as a social media strategist for a brand that I love and for a boss I love. She’s a marketing genius and manages to create an amazing environment for me to grow and learn. So I’m going to work as hard as I can and do all that I can, and then some, at my job. I’m committing to being creative, taking risks and asking questions at work in order to learn and grow more as a marketer.
- Write daily. If I want to be a legit blogger, I need to write more. So I’m going to set aside time every day to do just that.
- Treat my blog as a running pitch. Thanks again for the advice Mattie! For me, this means posting great content at least 3 times a week. I’m actually very scared to say this because then I have to do it. But hey, that’s what vows are right?
- Promote my content and myself shamelessly. Not annoyingly so, but just enough for you to know who I am, what I do and why you should join me on the journey.
- Study hard. I’ve got to make those A’s, get those scholarships and graduate debt-free!
*Bonus Step: Attend Social Media Examiner Social Media Success Summit 2015, one of the best (if not the best) e-conferences on social and digital media marketing.
I’m excited to marry my dreams and I can’t wait to see where it takes me!
Don’t forget to connect with me! I’d love to hear from you!